Saturday 2 March 2013

To my one true love: you hold the Allen key to my heart

I have a love that is deep and real.

It is my constant, but it is also forever adapting to meet my needs.

It gives more than it receives, and I simply don't know what I would do if it wasn't in my life.

And just when I thought I couldn't love IKEA any more, it went and introduced travel goods.

IKEA backpacks: you've stolen my heart in this

This life-altering discovery, made while shopping for some office accessories with a colleague, literally stopped me in my tracks.  It was like a dozen Valentine's Days had been rolled into one.  I couldn't have been more shocked if IKEA had got down on bent knee and proposed (FYI the answer would be "yes").

IKEA slippers:  I will run to you in these

Tucked between the IKEA restaurant and children's furniture (as if they'll ever grasp the magnitude of this development) is the IKEA Family store.  Here, resplendent in a range of colours, are backpacks, suitcases, toiletry bags, toiletry bottles, slippers, dressing gowns, neck pillows and more.

Just when I thought I couldn't love you any more, you turn around and do this for me, I thought with a smile.
IKEA travel bottles: perfect, like our love

It is fair to say that my home is already a living shrine to our mutual love; from the Expedit shelving units and Gosa Raps pillows, to the Grundtal toilet roll stand.  It has hit the point where I'm actually going to have to extend or renovate simply to squeeze more IKEA in... like an IKEA kitchen.

IKEA neck pillows: every time I rest my head against these, I will think of you

How did our love start?  At first, I was just a shy shopper buying a few scented tea-light candles.  One thing led to another and before I knew it we were building a home together complete with rugs, sofas and tableware.

I guess it was inevitable.  After all, what's not to love?  It's affordable, but well-designed, colourful, chic and funky.   I have a small two-bedroom unit and all other furniture stores seem to be catering to McMansions.  I don't know, it just... gets me.

And really, can anything make feel you feel more manly and accomplished than successfully assembling a Hemnes chest of drawers?   I don't think so.

And now, not only can I have IKEA close to my heart at home, but also when I travel.

IKEA, you crazy, Swedish, flat pack, Allen key lovin' bastard... I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Long live Ikea Matthew! I love the names of the cheap chinese..I mean Swedish goods that you can buy. We love our Ikea here too!

    ReplyDelete